Black Woman Working In America 3

Life In America
The reason I am sharing my experiences is so that it can help others. Especially my younger family members in College or who want to migrate to America. Maybe you can learn from my experience and be better equipped to fight for your rights.
I did all the “Right” things to get ahead legally
1. I got a degree ( 4 actually ).
2. I applied for jobs and even took the low paying ones until I could get a better one.
3. I looked for a home in a nice safe neighborhood with the right schools.
4.I applied for scholarships some of them I received.
5. I joined community service organizations and volunteered.
6. I go to church and also volunteer at church to give back to my community.
Still that is not enough. Why?
1. With a degree I have to wonder when I apply for jobs if they will think I am over qualified, if they will think I am trying to take their job, I have to deal with employers who don’t pay me on time and cause me to get behind on my bills and put me in debt.
2. At my job even though I try to be “nice” , I have coworkers trying to understand HOW I got the job( I don’t fit into their nice little stereotype box), they become jealous if they find out how much O get paid ( even the ones that make more money), they don’t think I have enough experience, they think I act like I am better than them because I have a degree ( how am I supposed to act).
3. My “friends” and some coworkers question why do I want to live in a nice neighborhood.
4. When I receive a scholarship, I have “ friends” questioning “HOW did YOU get that scholarship ?”. I have jealous people saying I probably slept with someone on the scholarship committee ( the committee usually made up of some sweet elderly women).
5. Even when I volunteer for many organizations, receive all the benefits other volunteers receive, people question “HOW did you “YOU” get that opportunity? You can only do that if you are rich. You must be manipulating the system. Where did “YOU” get the money to do that? Because many people who have not done community service IN THEIR LIFE do not understand that when you volunteer, you may not get monetary pay right away, but you get qualified for scholarships, free all expenses paid trips, the opportunity to meet celebrities.
6. When I go to church and apply for some positions that are advertised, they usually are enthusiastic about responding to me, but as soon as I show up in person ( they did not expect “Nichole McGhie” to be a black woman. The name does not match the actual person that shows up). Suddenly the position they were desperate to fill ( which nobody else applied to) is a sought after one and they have several applicants they have to consider and they will get back to me. Even when I go to a “Black” church and apply for positions in the church my own Black people look at how I dress (I don’t dress the part of the position I applied to) and they will get back to me ( and they never do).
So just sharing some frustrations and struggles. But I don’t let these struggles keep me down, because God has blessed me with a positive personality and even when I am sad, I just sent stay safe for long because if I did so, I would be wrong and Godkeeps on blessing. You know that part of the Lord’s Prayer that says, “He preparest a table for me in the presence of my enemies, thou anointed my head with oil, my cup runneth over” , I am living proof of that. No matter what I am going through, God keeps him n blessing me. Many people think I don’t have problems because I am always smiling. Thank have problems like everyone else, but I choose to focus on the positive things and I just have to be grateful and keep praising God and keep moving FORWARD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Job Hunting

Memories: How I Was Able To Afford a Trip To Paris at 22 Years Old

Angry Young Men