How To Survive As a Foreign Student

Did you know that F-1  Students ( Foreign VISA Students) cannot work in the United States without a work permit? You are only allowed to work on campus. For many years before I got married, I was an F-1student. The law states that if you are found working off campus you can be deported. So here I am in the US as a foreign student, I can only work on campus, the campus jobs pay minimum wage, it is not enough to pay my rent and cover my expenses. So for many years I had to depend on my family here in Smerica, because I didn’t have a mother ( she died when I was 5) and I received no support from my father. So how did I survive? I applied for scholarships and joined school organizations ( including the Student Government, Phi Theta Kappa and others). Then I had many uninformed, jealous people ( some of them my “friends”, saying I am a freeloader, I don’t want to work, I am manipulating the system. Why? Because I am not suffering the way that in their opinion I am supposed to suffer. If I find out that a school organization is offering to give students an all expense trip ( airfare, food, 5 star hotel accommodation, stipend) to Washington DC to lobby for student rights and all you have to do is get a high GPA, volunteer, perform community service and run for office. What do you think I am going to do? I am going to get that GPA, volunteer, perform community service and run for office. So if you see me enjoying my life and making the best of my situation, don’t get jealous and hate on me. When life gives me lemons, I make lemonade. I am constantly looking for opportunities to move forward, make the best of my situation and enjoy life too. So instead of hating on me, who had less privileges than you do, why don’t you ask for my help, ACCEPT my help and I can show you resources and opportunities that are available to EVERYONE all you have to do is apply and put in a little more effort than others. And if you don’t want to do that, how can you reasonably be jealous of me when you have more than me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Job Hunting

Memories: How I Was Able To Afford a Trip To Paris at 22 Years Old

Angry Young Men